Saturday, October 15, 2011

How some adults view children.....

Rachel Carson
"A child’s world is fresh and new and beautiful, full of wonder and excitement. It is our misfortune that for most of us that clear-eyed vision, that true instinct for what is beautiful, is dimmed and even lost  before we reach adulthood."

Today, Clark and I met our good friends Kelly and James for an early morning breakfast. Great company, great food and wonderful conversation was had. Clark was his typical self... engaged in play with his lovey, while eating some scrumcious banana pancakes.
I will rewind a bit, we decided to meet at Stella's-- a very " homey, welcoming restaurant" that daily feeds numerous children and welcomes them with open arms. This is a great restaurant for people with children.
Ok, back to the story. We are sitting there all enjoying our morning conversations, getting caught up, talking with James about school and the such.
Clark is being very good, occassionally turning in his highchair to see the people across from us. When doing this the two women shot him this awful look. It was quite disgusting. I turned him around and started to show him some toys and things. Not only did I witness this, Kelly did as well as the waitress.  Over the course of our meal Clark was trying to engage them in play. Throwing his lovey near them to which they stepped on it! I could not imgaine what a horrible life that these two had that they wouldn't just leave the toy alone or pass it to me. I grabbed it from underneath her foot and said, "I understand you may not like children this early in the morning or most likely at all, but you are at a resturant that welcomes children of all ages, apparently because you two are the biggest children I have ever met. My son my not be the best behaved sitting here but for a 14 month old, he is pretty freaking good. So please  do excuse me while I go back to my lovely meal and hopefully you to can go out and enjoy this beautiful day."
I was shocked that I even said anything to them! But I did. This new life I am leading as made me stop and realize , when the hell did the world get to be so rude? arrogant? disrespectful? and lost its excitement and happiness? Is it just me? 
I'm sure many of you reading this will think, why didn't I just take the lovey away from Clark? Could I have left the restaurant?  I could have, but honestly he wasn't at all bad for his age. He ate a great portion of his pancake, had some milk and was pointing to all the fall/ pumpkin decorations in the place. 

I don't know about you , but I am excited when I see children, sometimes it can be overwhelming but I would never ever be so rude to someone elses child. Sometimes I think people need to take a step back and remember that at one time they were children. Take a minute to enjoy the moment... find happiness in one thing that a child might be doing.... maybe it will make you smile for just a moment.

Until the next time,
There is only love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment