Monday, August 29, 2011

Buy local, Eat fresh!!

For the last month I have been focusing on my mind, body and soul. I have been seeing a nutrionist and it has been so helpful. Although I pride myself on eating right, there is always room for improvement. After having Clark I realized that I basically ate when I would become so hungry that anything would taste good. I would often skip meals so that I could do other things around the house. This really did nothing for my temper or my waist line:)
So I enlisted the help of a great nutrionist, Jillian. She has made me think outside the box for great ideas so that I can get the most out of breakfast and lunch. I am including more protein into my breakfast and especially lunch. This has helped alot with keeping up with the chunk. I have more energy and feel great!

With keeping all of the tools the nutritionist gave me in mind, I started really thinking about my purchases at the grocery store. I have become a more active member of any and all farmers markets. There is something so wonderful about a fresh piece of fruit or vegetable that is straight out of the garden. Seeing Clark's face when we roll up to the farmers market is priceless. He gets so excited to see all people,animals, musical performers, and food, he even gets a treat! Fresh blueberries and raspberries are his favorite!
I have decided that as long as there is a farmers market open I will be there with bells on.

The following recipes include many items that were purchased at the local farmers markets.Some recipes that I have made with the fresh tomatoes I purchased are:

Salsa Fresca 

1 cup Cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 jalapeno
2 1/2 lbs ripe tomatoes (about 7-8) cut into small pieces
1 juice of lime
salt
Simple ingredients
In the food processor pulse cilantro and garlic for 30 seconds, scrape down sides. Add onion and jalapeno and pulse until finely chopped.  Add in chopped tomato . Next add in lime juice and season with salt.
I love this salsa with multigrain tortilla chips or even baked pita chips!
Salsa Fresca!

Quick and Easy fresh tomato sauce 
Olive oil 
3 cloves of garlic
dash of crushed red pepper
7-10 Roma Tomatoes
Coat the bottom of the sauce pan. Mince garlic and put into heated oil. Add a dash of crushed red pepper. Be careful not to burn the garlic and crushed pepper. Add in the tomatoes and let it simmer for 30 minutes.


Caprese Omelette!
3 eggs 1-2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese 1 medium tomato
1 small bunch of fresh basil
1 T olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Prepare the filling by rinsing the basil, patting it dry, then cutting into small shreds. Next, slice or dice the tomato into 1/2" pieces, and finally, cut your mozzarella cheese into small 1/8" thick rounds (this helps it melt more easily).
 
fresh tomatoes

fresh mozzerella

Beat eggs well until they are light and fluffy-looking in the bowl. Add a couple drops of water for extra fluffy eggs, and because this actually works better than milk.. Heat the olive oil (or butter, if you're a traditional omelette maker) in a pan over medium high heat until hot and add eggs. Swirl your pan around until the egg coats the entire bottom and some of the sides. When the eggs bubble, take your spatula and pierce the steam bubble, tilting your pan to fill the hole with the remaining eggs. Continue this process until the eggs stop bubbling and reduce heat to medium. 
eggs!
 Sprinkle a tiny pinch each of salt and pepper, place the mozzarella rounds in the omelette and cover for about 90 seconds, or just until the cheese starts to soften. At this point you will want to start using your spatula to help loosen the omelette from the pan, making sure it doesn't break in the process. Once you've loosened it most of the way, add the tomatoes and basil shreds. Flip one side of the omelette on top of the other with your spatula and cook for about 20 seconds. Flip the entire thing onto the other side and do the same. By now you should have reached a perfect golden color on the outside of the omelette.

Slide the omelette onto a plate, garnish with extra diced tomato and a sprig of basil on top, add some good, crusty Italian bread for a side if desired, and enjoy!
Delicious Caprese Omelette
I paired this omelette with a red potato that I made into home fries. I diced the potato into small pieces, coated the bottom of the frying pan with a little olive oil and cooked the potato. Given the fact that I diced the potato small it cooked in no time. I did season to taste with pepper and a dash of garlic powder.
Yummy homemade home fries made with straight from the garden, red potato








These are just a sampling of great recipes that were made using the freshest ingredients at the local farmers market. Why bother buying fresh vegetables and fruit from your grocery store, when you can get local delicious, fresh produce at your local farmers market. Support local farmers!!
Here is a list of the farmer's markets that Clark and I have ventured to. Maybe we will see you there! 
Cambridge, Central Square - Mondays at 2- 6
Arlington, Behind Arlington Catholic- Wednesdays 2-6
Cambridge, Kendall Sq- 2-6
Milton, 1-6
Somerville, Union Square 9am- 1pm
<3 I knew when we collided you're the one I have decided

Whos one of my kind<3

1 comment:

  1. There is no way that you could fedex me the Omelette?!!? Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete