Monday, August 29, 2011

Give up something.... and not when asked:)


Written Sunday August 28, 2011
“ Give up something”
Went Lent comes rolling around many of us decide it is time to give up something. Whether it is coffee, eating in between meals, or going out to eat these are simple sacrifices. But why is it we only give something up when we are asked to? Why can’t we randomly choose to do it?
For the past month, I have given up facebook. I find facebook to be a great mode of communication  that helps you stay in contact with people, family and friends that you haven’t seen in a while, old coworkers, and school mates, but sometimes it is just downright hurtful.  
I see no need for such a negative website to control my mind and occupy my thoughts. I thought it would have been harder to stay away from facebook, and don’t get me wrong I did reactivate only to deactivate about three minutes later. In those three minutes I saw bullying, cowardness, gossiping, and venting to the extreme. These are qualities that I feel really bring down my happiness level. For me giving up facebook was cold turkey there was no weaning, no ill sign in on the even days, it was done.  The moment I hit deactivate I knew my life would be better.  As of this minute I have no desire to reactivate and no desire to indulge occasionally.  Almost immediately, as I was signing off for the last time I realized slowly what a drain facebook had been on my happiness.
 On the same idea, I decided to de-clutter (give up something) my life this weekend. With Hurricane Irene on her way, I took most the afternoon on Sunday to get rid of many, many, many articles of clothing that I don’t wear. I had a mantra going into that closet.. “if I hadn’t worn it in a year, I ain’t never going to wear it”.  Each article of clothing I pulled out I literally asked myself If I had worn it, if not it went into the Homeless Shelter pile. After three hours, three huge bags later for the women’s shelter and one bag of trash , I must say my closet looks great. I have several great pairs of dress pants to wear to my new job, beautiful shirts and some amazing dresses. I only kept things that I would actually wear.  I look at the closet now and I feel as though I have many more options of things to wear. Its funny how when you see all the clothes you have in a closet, bureau or containers you think you have so much to wear but for most people it’s overwhelming. Cutting out a few pieces of clothing really does help.  After my de-cluttering afternoon, I no longer have guilt over owning so many things and yet never wearing most of them.
1 clean and organized closet!

3 bags to the homeless shelter!

1 bag of trash!
Things are looking up, and are bright and sunny .. no matter what Irene had to say about that today! I am excited and full of energy to start my new job tomorrow!
Until next time,
There is only love <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment