Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chicken, broccoli and rice baby style

Dinner time at my house growing up was all about family,food and conversations. It was a great time of the day to discuss your days events and show respect for others by listening. Each night, dinner time was spent as a family, there was no television, no one running in or out, it was time to be with our family.
During dinner time now, Clark is always involved. He sits at his highchair and devours his food. Our first course is always salad, Clark usually has yogurt melts or some sort of finger food. Once we begin our main course, Clark has the bulk of his food at this time.

Since Clark has been eating solid foods, I have tried to incorporate more of what we eat into his meals. This saves me alot of time! During meals for the most part I try to show Clark that we are eating many of the same foods. Tonight we had chicken broccoli and spaghetti. Instead of using spaghetti in Clark's meal, I substituted it for Arborio rice.

Chicken, broccoli and rice baby style was very easy to make.
First I took the broccoli and steamed it using the Babycook machine. Once the broccoli is steamed, I used the chopping button to chop the broccoli. As stated before I leave it a bit chunky.
Next I took the chicken (I used chicken breast). After cutting the chicken into cubes, I placed them into a small pan of water.

I let the chicken boil until it was completely done! It is important to make sure there is no red or pink in the center of the meat.  Once completely cooked I took 4 cubes of chicken out and placed into the chopper. **This made a bit more chopped chicken than I needed for tonight's meal, so I placed the rest in a container to use tomorrow or in another recipe. **
 Next, boil 1/2 cup of water, once boiled add 1/4 cup of rice. Cook according to package directions. You will have extra rice, it is safe to place rice in a container and refrigerate it. However, use it within 2-3 days.

For a little bit of moisture I added a dollop of plain yogurt.  This helped the rice, broccoli and chicken become a bit more moist.


Viola! A simple,quick meal that uses many of the same ingredients that will be on your plate. Showing children good eating habits even at 9 months old helps them to make good choices later. 
Oh by the way, Clark had blueberries on the side:)
All together this meal took about 20-25 minutes between chopping, steaming, cooking and plating.

No comments:

Post a Comment