Saturday, November 12, 2011

Recipe: Gypsy Soup !

It seems like alot of people I know are sick. I have a little nasal congestion, but it isn't as bad as some colds that people are getting. 
Anytime I was sick growing up I have fond memories of my mother whipping up a quick, hearty soup - that would surely kick the crap out of any cold. Usually it was chicken soup..which to this date the only person that comes close to making it a similar way is my grandmother. 
Why was it that anytime we were sick there seemed to always be a left over whole chicken waiting to be chopped up and made into a delicious soup?! I will never know why... but it sure did taste good. Whether she would make it with rice, pasta, or noodles, the cold see to disappear within hours. 

I am a big fan of making soup and giving soup. If I find a recipe that I find to be beneficial of cooking and sharing I most certainly will share the wealth! (or soup for that matter!)
So, needless to say, I have been very productive in my soup making skills. When someone is ill or fighting off a cold, my first reaction is to make soup! Haha!! I have made chicken soup and vegetable soup the past few weeks.
 But today I remembered this yummy soup that my mother made from the Moosewood Cookbook.  
Gypsy Soup!!!  I had to make it for all of the sickies out there! Including myself:)

Here are the ingredients:  
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 cups chopped, peeled sweet potatoes or  carrots ( I added both)
1/2 cup chopped celery ( I omitted, added mushrooms instead)
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped sweet peppers ( I omitted, added green beans and peas)
1-1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (Used white kidney beans, as that is all I had)
3 cups water
Dash of cinnamon, dash of cayenne
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon tamaric
2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon salt

To start: 
In a soup kettle sauté  garlic,  and sweet potatoes in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
  
Carrots, mushroom, peas sauteing in extra virgin olive oil  

Add seasonings, except the tamaric, and the stock or water. Simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
I took the tomatoes plunged them into the boiling 3 cups of water, once they were soft, I diced them up . Cooked for another 5 or so minutes. Then strained out the tomatoes and used the tomato broth in with the vegetables.
3 cups of water with chopped tomatoes 

Strained the tomatoes and used the "tomato broth" as the water 



Vegetables with seasoning 

Add remaining vegetables and cooked chickpeas. Simmer another 10 minutes or so until all the vegetables are as tender as you like them.
Gypsy Soup! 
Please Note: the vegetables used in this soup are flexible. Any orange vegetable can be combined with green. For example, peas or green beans can replace the peppers. Carrots can be used instead of or in addition to the squash or sweet potatoes.

So, please do remember to be kind to others and to help when they are feeling sick! It is a great feeling to know that you are helping someone to feel better, just by making a simple soup.
Until next time, 
There is only love <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment