Friday, November 4, 2011

Letting your child be the person that they are.....

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower " Albert Camus 

Fall is my most favorite season! This quote really speaks volumes when it comes to showcasing what the magic of the season really is. The mornings are cool and the nights are chilly. The air hits your cheeks and you are reminded that as Valerie Andrews stated, "As a child, one has that magical capacity to move among the many eras of the earth; to see the land as an animal does; to experience the sky from the perspective of a flower or a bee; to feel the earth quiver and breathe beneath us; to know a hundred different smells of mud and listen unself- consciously to the soughing of the trees."
Imagine what it is like to really take in all of your surroundings, as your child does. Clark loves to stop, look and listen to all that is around him. Thus, providing me a moment to stop, reflect and listen to the world around me. 

In a past blog I talked about taking a moment at the end of the day to reflect upon your day- what was good, bad, and what could have been done differently. Pairing these two reflective qualities together has been very beneficial. 
Instead of rushing through the day, I stop and pause to enjoy the "little things" with Clark.  These things aren't so little when I look at Clark's growth. Seeing how he engulfs his whole self into the environment, warms my heart. I look at him playing in the mud, digging for worms, chasing birds, watching airplanes, looking at all sorts of trucks, and observing the veins of falling leaves, and cleaning up the street with Nana. These things show me that I am doing a great job proving Clark with literacy- rich and hands-on environmental experiences. 

Last weekend I took part in a wonderful conference about Diet and Development in the 21st century. The workshop was great, however it made me think ...well overthink and analyze and process Clark, his behavior and what I feed him.
That being said, I have been focusing my energy on a 30 day plan. This plan will include only organic vegetables, meats, and fruits in our diet. I want to see if this way of eating for both Clark and I will affect our behavior ( mostly Clark at this moment:). I have found that making treats for Clark is a good way to cut out processed foods, artificial colors, and other not so good things for him. I am in no way pushing this way of eating but I want to see, is there a correlation between non-organic foods and behavior? 
Or when it comes right down to it... Is my son an absolute normal 15 month old boy that has more energy than he knows what to do with ? 
So that is the question I am posing for today.....
I want the best for my son, always. But I am really tired of the criticism that I receive when people see him. In my opinion my son doesn't have ADHD. He is a 15 month old little boy that has the best energy going. He is loving, sweet and can melt your heart the moment he looks at you. He can be engaged with books, toys, and household items, but sometimes he wants to just be a rough and tumble kind of guy. Is that wrong? Should I reprimand him? 
Or just let him be him.... Because in the end, I am choosing to let him be him. A fun loving, free spirit.... maybe you will join us on this adventure.
Until next time,
There is only love<3



No comments:

Post a Comment