Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mothering our lively sons!

Mothering Our Lively Sons!


This post has little to do with a recipe, food preparation or the ease of making a two in one meal. This post is about my son and all of his quirkiness. 


I was recently observing my son in a very chaotic environment known as the Rainforest Cafe.  The lights were blinking, calypso music was blaring, and animals were making noises. My son was bouncing up and down having the time of his life. He was looking  around, taking in his environment and enjoying  life. I thought surely when he was bouncing around in his highchair, that people may think there was something wrong with him...adhd came to the forefront of my mind. I am a teacher so I feel sometimes I am hypercritical of Clark. (This is the devil/angel on my shoulders that I have to deal with on a daily basis now that I have had a child.)

But then I looked around and  saw children holding their ears, screaming/ shouting/ crying and looking like deer caught in the headlights of an oncoming car.  
In a flash of a second I realized that my son was a 10 month old baby.. enjoying the world around him, swaying to the music, and had the ability to enjoy the chaos.
My son loves being outside-crawling around on the lawn picking up bugs, seeing the motion of cars and trucks,  watches trees swaying on a cool spring night, observes how his toys work,and loves with all the love in his little chunk heart.




I saw this quote from an online conference and thought this blurb summed up just how I feel about raising a little boy! "Mothering a boy can be exhilarating and exhausting! Understanding the role of biology, testosterone, and environmental stresses means you can help him be his best. Effective language, practical activities and developmental insight can deepen your connection to the boy in your life."


My son might be exhausting at times, but he is showing me how to enjoy life through all of his quirkiness. I may not understand why he wants to bounce on his tip toes, why he likes to throw his bottle, or even why he loves to pull at his right ear. But what I do know is  my life is better because of him. So here is to Clark, the little boy who has my heart, that makes me want to play in the mud, dance in the rain, jump on my tip toes, and even ocassionally makes me splash in the pool. 


1 comment:

  1. Reading this blog has confirmed what I had already known and that is that you are an amazing woman. You are a great mother and Clark knows this also. As a parent I know first hand that it can be hard. At times it almost seems scary and impossible. But its also the most amazing accomplishment in the world. I can't speak for everyone but I know for me that I was reborn the moment my son was born. From that moment on I knew that everything I did would be for him. That was all that mattered. We want what's best for our kids. We want to teach them and protect them. We worry about them and care for them. We also have to remember that they aren't adults. They are just babies. It doesn't matter how old they get, they will always and forever be our babies. I believe that when your son was bouncing around it was just his way of expressing his excitement and joy. He was soaking it all in and loving every minute of it.he is perfect in every way and that's because of you. Teach him every day but more importantly you must learn from him everyday. Remember what its like to live, truly live. Splash in a pool, stare at a tree or a bug. Jump for no reason at all and smile just because. You are doing a GREAT job. Go mama go!

    ReplyDelete